Lillian Blauvelt  -  Cabinet Photo (as Marguerite) by Davis & Sanford, New York
Item# EC00031e
$45.00
Availability: Usually ships the next business day

Product Description

Lillian Blauvelt  -  Cabinet Photo (as Marguerite) by Davis & Sanford, New York
EC00031e. LILLIAN BLAUVELT - Cabinet photo (as Marguerite, FAUST) by Davis & Sanford, New York. Excellent copy has neatly affixed printed 'Blauvelt' identification superimposed at bottom - easily removed, if desired.

“Lillian Blauvelt was a popular opera singer in New York City and internationally in the first decade of the 20th century. Her voice was a lyric soprano with a very pure timbre and dramatic distinction. Her vocal range was from G to D. She was from Brooklyn, New York and eventually toured every country in Europe.

In 1898 she sang under Sir Henry Wood at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Forty years later his list of the finest artists he had ever worked with included Ferruccio Busoni, Fritz Kreisler, Pablo Casals and Lillian Blauvelt. She performed with the New York Symphony at Carnegie Hall. In the ninth season of Symphony Concerts for Young People, 1904, the program was devoted to works by Bizet, Gounod, Verdi, and Richard Wagner. She sang before an audience numbering 3,000 at the Asbury Park, New Jersey Casino in July 1904. In 1905 Blauvelt signed a six-year contract with Fred Whitney to appear in comic opera. She reportedly received $504,000 for her services or $2,000 per week. Her first venture after the pact was made was a production of THE ROSE OF ALHAMBRA, written by Charles Emerson Cook and Lucius Hosmer. Cook was a close affiilliate of David Belasco.

She appeared at the Lyceum Theatre in Rochester, New York, in November 1905, for the first production of THE ROSE OF THE ALHAMBRA. The comic opera was written by Charles Emerson Cook and directed by F. C. Whitney. It was her first work in light opera after working for years in grand opera. Blauvelt received encores until she was compelled to refuse further acknowledgements. In 1906, she starred in Victor Herbert's THE MAGIC KNIGHT.”

- Wikipedia