Walter Barylli, Paul Doktor;  Krauss, Prohaska    (Preiser 90760)
Item# S0405
$19.90
Availability: Usually ships the same business day

Product Description

Walter Barylli, Paul Doktor;  Krauss, Prohaska    (Preiser 90760)
S0405. WALTER BARYLLI, w.Krauss Cond. Vienna Phil.: Violin Concerto #4 in D, K.218, recorded 23 April, 1944; WALTER BARYLLI & PAUL DOKTOR, w.Prohaska Cond. Vienna Staatsoper Orch.: Sinfonia Concertante in E-flat, K.364, recorded 1951, Westminster (both Mozart). (Austria) Preiser 90760. - 717281907606

CRITIC REVIEWS:

“This Preiser release of a long-ago historical recording is remarkable in several ways; first, that the principal artist represented was still living at the time of its release. Second, it is the first release ever of this 23 April, 1944, recording of violinist Walter Barylli performing Mozart's Fourth Violin Concerto with the Vienna Philharmonic under Clemens Krauss. Preiser does not specify if this recording comes from disc or a tape, but the sound is absolutely spectacular for 1944; it must be an early magnetophon tape. In any event, the recording was discovered in the archives of the Stiftung Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv in 2006, and the 1951 Westminster recording used as companion piece - with Barylli, legendary violist Paul Doktor, and the Vienna Opera Orchestra in Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante.

Walter Barylli is an Austrian violinist who had a distinguished career based in his native Vienna, as Konzertmeister of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, founder and leader of the Barylli string quartet, and Professor of violin at the Vienna City Academy. Walter Barylli was born in Vienna on 16 June 1921. He studied at the Vienna Music Academy with the Philharmonic Konzertmeister Franz Mairecker, and in Munich with Florizel von Reuter, a violinist who had achieved outstanding success early in life. In 1936 Barylli gave his first public performance as a soloist in Munich, and made his first gramophone recordings in Berlin. Over the next two years he made an international career as a soloist. Mairecker advised him that in autumn 1938 a first violin desk would become available with the Vienna Philharmonic. Travelling to the audition at Vienna by train from Stuttgart on 12 March 1938, Barylli became aware of the preparations for the invasion of Austria and realised he must make his career with an orchestra rather than as a travelling soloist: he won the position and became a member of the VPO.

During the War he first brought the Barylli Quartet together. He re-founded it in 1945, but its life in public performance lay mainly between 1951 and 1960. The group became the 'home' quartet of the Vienna Musikverein. They performed in Europe and overseas, and made several appearances at the Salzburg Festivals. The group concentrated on classic repertoire, especially Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Schubert and Brahms. They collaborated with Antoine de Bavier, Jörg Demus, Paul Badura-Skoda, Edith Farnadi and Wilhelm Huebner.

Urgently recommended for its value as a historical document no less than for it’s exuberant- occasionally transcendent- readings, especially of the Sinfonia Concertante.”

- FANFARE