V2623. VOCAL RECORD COLLECTORS' SOCIETY - 2018 Issue: Tiit Kuusik, Joachim Tartakov, Hipolito Lazaro & Riccardo Stracciari, Louis Orliac, Miguel Villabella, Charles Rousseliere, Graziella Valle, Linda Cannetti, Giuseppe Danise, Irene Eden, Constance Drever, Frances Alda, Maria Brian, Leon Rains, Karl Jorn, Thomas Burke, Jeanne Gordon, Hulda Lashanska, Hans Reinmar, Elisabeth Grummer & Eileen Farrell. VRCS-2018, recorded 1901-56. Transfers by Seth B. Winner.
1. CHARLES ROUSSELIÈRE, Tenor: HERCULANUM: “L’Estase - je veux aimer toujours”
2. MARIA BRIAN, Soprano: Rimsky-Korsakoff - “Oh, If you would for a moment”
3. LÉON RAINS, Bass: Nicolai - DIE LUSTIGEN WEIBER VON WINDSOR - Als Büblein klein an der Mutter Brust”
4. CONSTANCE DREVER, Soprano: TOM JONES: "Which is my own true self?”
5. KARL JÖRN, Tenor: Herman - “Salomo”, Op. 23, #1
6. LINDA CANNETTI, Soprano: IRIS: Act 2 - “Io pingo”
7. JOACHIM V. TARTAKOV, Baritone: Tchaikovsky - “Disenchantment,” Op. 65, #2
8. HIPÓLITO LÁZARO & RICCARDO STRACCIARI: FORZA: “Solenne in quest'ora”
9. IRENE EDEN, Soprano: Alabieff - “The Nightingale”
10. GIUSEPPE DANISE, Baritone: Mozart - DON GIOVANNI - "Deh, vieni alla finestra"
11. FRANCES ALDA, Soprano: L'AMICO FRITZ: Act 1 - “Son pochi fiori”
12. FRANCES ALDA, Soprano: L'AMICO FRITZ: Act 3 - “Non mi resta che il pianto”
13. THOMAS BURKE, Tenor: Puccini - TOSCA: Act 1 - “Recondita armonia”
14. JEANNE GORDON, Contralto: A. Gordon Thomas - “Summer Night”
15. MIGUEL VILLABELLA, Tenor: Klingsor / Almaby - “Paysage d’or”
16. HULDA LASHANSKA, Soprano: Tchaikovsky - “None But the Lonely Heart,” Op. 6, #6
17. LOUIS ORLIAC, Tenor: LA JUIVE: “Dieu, que ma voix tremblante”
18. GRAZIELLA VALLE, Soprano: Zandonai - 6 Melodie, #4: “La Serenata”
19. HANS REINMAR, Baritone: Mussorgsky - "The Song of the Flea"
20. ELISABETH GRÜMMER, Soprano: Schubert - “Ave Maria,” D. 839
21. TIIT KUUSIK, Bass-Baritone: Schubert – Schwanengesang - “Aufenthalt,” D.957, No. 5
22. EILEEN FARRELL, Soprano: MESSIAH - “Come Unto Him”
23. EILEEN FARRELL, Soprano: Rossini - Stabat Mater - “Inflammatus”
VRCS-2018, recorded 1901-56. Transfers by Seth B. Winner.
“The VRCS is still in the process of catching up with itself since it got so far behind with its annual CD issues, hence this being the 2018 issue. A note by Seth Winner on the back page of the booklet [explains]….The issue displays all the usual virtues of the VRCS issues: Superlative notes and photographs, full discographical details, very high production values and state of the art transfers by Seth Winner. As always, highly recommended.”
- Paul Steinson, THE RECORD COLLECTOR, 2020
“And so we come to this latest release from the Vocal Record Collectors' Society. It contains precisely the kind of rarified content in one respect or another that collectors of historical singers of opera and song have spent hours delighting - and not just ourselves, but others who have fallen into our clutches….
This disc presents the same kind of experience one would expect upon visiting a knowledgeable collector who, by chance, is also an expert digital editor. Add in biographies of the singers and record information (dates, side length, matrix and catalog numbers, etc), and you have all the makings of a fine collectors' get together….
Seth Winner does a superior job with the digital transfers. If you aren't aware of the VRCS's annual series but enjoy sampling the rarer side of vintage operatic and song transfers from extensive collections, you should seriously consider this, their 2018 release (the latest from them, by the way), for purchase from Norbeck, Peters & Ford (www.norpete.com).”
- Barry Brenesal, FANFARE